Flexible printed circuit boards have become an essential product due to the ever-growing demands for smaller, faster, and more durable electronic devices. Flex circuits can provide solutions for applications in a variety of industries such as aerospace, medicine, automotive, communications, and consumer electronics.
About 2 Layer Flex PCBs
There are various types of flex circuits that can be used for industrial applications. These vary in terms of size, complexity, and application requirements. In this blog, we will be discussing about 2 layer flex PCBs.
This is among the three common types of basic circuits offered by most PCB manufacturers. It consists of a polyimide base, and contains two conductive layers. This PCB is usually assembled with PTH technology.
The features of 2 layer flex circuits include:
- It can be custom designed to suit particular application requirements.
- Plated through-holes are used to create better connections between layers.
- Exposed pads without covers can be designed on one or both sides, allowing for vias to be covered.
- The PCB can be supported by using pins, stiffeners, and connectors.
Advantages of Double Sided Circuits
Some of the well-known benefits of 2 layer flex PCBs are:
- Reduced Space & Weight: Standard PCBs generally comprise thickness of .063″ and weight of about 1/2oz. In comparison, flex circuits comprise lightweight materials, which reduce the weight and size of the PCB to a great extent. Generally, flex circuits have a thickness range from .004″ to .010″ and copper weight of 1oz.
- Provides Solution for Interconnects: Instead of utilizing expensive cables or connectors, flex circuits are designed so that the interconnects can be directly integrated into the part.
- Low Assembly Costs: The lack of separate interconnects leads to drastic reductions in terms of connectors as well as soldering requirements. Also, polyimide as a flexible base material ensures that installation is completed in a shorter time period.
- Adds to Application Performance: Flex circuits provide superior electrical and mechanical performance. They allow for an increase in air flow and heat dissipation.
Two layer flex circuits are designed to provide application solutions in terms of design, assembly, and performance.